Briggs & Stratton
Briggs & Stratton is the world’s largest producer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of power generation, pressure washer, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products. The company’s aluminum alloy engines range from 3 to 25 horsepower and can be found in a range of outdoor power equipment including generators, lawn mowers, power washers, snow blowers, etc. Briggs & Stratton markets and services its products to original equipment manufacturers worldwide.
The company is owned by KPS Capital Partners, a New York-based private equity firm that acquired Briggs & Stratton September 2020. Headquartered just outside of Milwaukee, WI, Briggs & Stratton is a multi-billion dollar, global company that employs over 3000 people on 6 continents. The company was founded in 1908.
The Director, Sourcing leads the global sourcing of direct materials and services for the company. This individual will manage ~$1B spend for various direct materials categories, including metals, electronics, plastics, castings and more. The Director will manage a team of at least 5 direct reports.
Responsibilities (detailed below) include establishing Sourcing and Supplier management strategies for the enterprise to achieve a competitive advantage from the supply base in cost, quality, delivery and innovation. Also responsible for achieving cost savings and working capital targets along with continuous improvement of supply chain resources, tools and processes.
- Leads development of supply category strategies developed to meet the business needs of the organization.
- Leads development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to improve sourcing, and purchasing processes.
- Responsible for delivering aggressive cost reduction value and holding team, members accountable to their individual targets.
- Serves as lead negotiator for the company and identifies, qualifies and selects suppliers. Implements lean supply chains and identifies best cost country sourcing opportunities. Maintains global standard operating procedures for the Sourcing and Purchasing functions.
- Sets an aggressive and positive tone with team members and suppliers. Supports key operational themes of aggressiveness, speed and data integrity.
- Prepares annual budgets and provides guidance for key commodities and annual purchase price variance and cost reduction forecasts.
- Interacts regularly with the CFO, Division Presidents and top executives at major suppliers.
- Supports continuous improvement and lean six sigma projects to maintain capable sourcing, purchasing and contract manufacturing processes.
- Supports supplier development and ensures all suppliers implement the company’s supplier quality system.
- Directs the work of groups of employees (leads through managers and other professionals).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain Management, engineering, finance or related field. MBA preferred or equivalent experience.
- CPM Certified Purchasing Manager and APICS Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM), preferred.
- 12+ years experience in sourcing, purchasing or supply chain management.
- Deep knowledge of Sourcing, Purchasing, Commodity Management, negotiation strategies and techniques, supplier quality and supplier relationship development.
- Proven leadership, negotiation and motivational skills.
- Expertise in delivering change programs to switch suppliers to achieve lower cost, improved service while maintaining supply continuity.
- Organized, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions; ability to adapt to different cultures and effectively lead teams in different continents.
- Expert knowledge of advanced sourcing techniques including should cost modeling, commodity hedging, supplier risk management, VA/VE and principled negotiations.
- Execute decisions and actions after consideration of both Company and Business Unit objectives; ability to make confident, fact-based decisions balancing risk.
- Ability to work well in high pressure situations in order to meet deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of China suppliers and supply chains and practical experience with low cost country sourcing strategies and execution, contract manufacturing and total cost of ownership models.
- Working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning systems (SAP, Oracle, JD Edwards, Microsoft Dynamics as examples) and Word, Powerpoint, Excel.
- Fluent in English and primary language used in area of responsibility and/or location.
- Domestic and/or international travel as required up to 40%.
This position is a hybrid role based at company HQ just outside of Milwaukee, in Wauwatosa, WI.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
SVP Supply Chain