Naseem A. Malik
West Pharmaceutical Services
West Pharmaceutical Services is a global leader pioneering in innovative solutions for injectable drug administration and delivery systems. Founded in 1923, the company specializes in creating cutting-edge packaging and delivery systems for pharmaceutical, biotech, and healthcare industries.
Their extensive portfolio includes products like vial containment, syringe systems, and drug administration technologies, all designed with a focus on safety, reliability, and enhancing patient experience.
With a relentless commitment to quality and leveraging advanced technologies, West empowers the healthcare sector by enabling safer, more efficient drug delivery solutions worldwide. Their dedication to innovation and excellence continues to shape the future of healthcare delivery.
Sr. Strategic Sourcing Lead
This role will act as a strategic partner to the local plant Operations Management Team, executes key risk mitigation and quality initiatives, creates value in the supply chain, leads site-specific supplier negotiations, supplier development and provides project management facilitation of supplier related projects.
This candidate will establish site-specific sourcing strategies to support New Product Development, cost out or value engineering projects at the Sites level. With limited support by their manager, this position is primarily measured on identifying supply risk and executing risk mitigation strategies, supplier quality improvement initiatives, cost reductions/avoidances achieved, cash flow improvement created, lead time reductions, achievement of sites specific key supplier agreements/relationships, supplier innovations delivered, and accomplishments of site goals that are linked to West Global Strategic Sourcing objectives. This position will report to the Manager Strategic Sourcing, Site Operations.
- Analyze market intelligence & trade reports regarding market trends and communicating potential or imminent problems and opportunities.
- Keep up with supply market trends, supplier economics, and best practice sourcing.
- Maintain knowledge of and communicate market trends affecting the company related to assigned site commodities.
- Identify, develop, and implement best value source of supply for each commodity under their responsibility.
- Provide in-depth spend analysis, supplier assessments, financial perspective, and initiate requests for competitive bids.
- Responsible for managing key sourcing metrics, including risk mitigation, PPV, cost avoidances, and delta P deflation.
- Develop and implement supplier-specific cost improvement programs yielding at least YOY 5.5% savings.
- Develop metrics for supplier performance and conduct supplier business reviews. Lead supplier based VATF (Value Added Task Force) and OPEX initiatives at the site level.
- Create sourcing presentations for executive review. Prepare annual and quarterly Operations reviews for the executive steering committee.
- Strong partner with Global Category Management Team and help implement strategies at the business-specific site level. Support Site controllers and Category management teams to develop budget standards for assigned raw materials & components.
- Work with Sites Management Team to execute Sourcing strategies related to site operational plan deployment and ensure timely resolution of critical supply issues.
- Site-specific direct material issue resolution. Work with Category Management to understand cost drivers of relevant markets and recommend strategies for improving the overall supply chain value proposition.
- Assess the site supplier base, identify functional management needs, collaborate with the category management team to map strategies, and work with local suppliers to negotiate major RFPs and build appropriate agreements to meet those needs.
- Drive supplier development and operational excellence activities to eliminate waste from the supply chain process.
- Maintain and promote sound relationships with suppliers, utilizes sound negotiation and value strong analysis skills to reduce overall costs and increase cash flow.
- Work closely with site management to achieve raw material, subassembly and purchased component goods cost reduction and inventory targets through supplier contract terms, supplier negotiations, Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) strategies and/or utilizing third party logistics, where appropriate.
- Ensure early involvement of sourcing in supporting New Product Development (NPD) projects.
- Establish and maintain effective customer relationships and gains their trust and respect.
- Work closely with Site Supplier Quality to lead site-level compliance to quality and regulatory policies related to supplier management, and monitor/ correct supplier issues.
- Serve as liaison between Site Strategic Sourcing, Central Procurement and Global Procurement Operations to drive efficiencies in the Procure to Pay (P2P) process.
- Drive implementation of global agreements at the Sites and monitor plant compliance to global programs.
- Work with Site stakeholders to identify, source, quote, and implement local sourcing opportunities.
- Manage complex projects to completion, provide dedicated support to various business initiatives, and drive change throughout the Procurement organization.
- Work with Site Strategic Sourcing leadership team to assure alignment with business needs and organizational priorities.
- Collaborate with all management levels to solve procurement, supplier, and inventory issues.
- Support high-value local sourcing decisions, including the bidding and negotiation process.
- Apply best practices to sourcing activities. Support best practices for procurement for the procure to pay (P2P) process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Engineering, Finance, or related field required; MBA preferred.
- 5+ years related business experience required, including medical device manufacturing.
- Several years of proven leadership experience in Strategic Sourcing, commodities, and Supplier Management in a “Lean” manufacturing environment.
- Six Sigma Green Belt and certification from the Institute of Supply Management (C.P.M.), Project Management.
- Able to be aware of all relevant standard operating procedures as per Company policy as they are related to the position covered by this Job Description.
- Support and contribute to Lean Sigma programs and activities towards delivery of the set target.
- Able to always comply with the company’s safety policy.
- Able to always comply with the company’s quality policy.
- Must have great interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and MS Project programs.
- Must have good analytical and problem-solving skills to adequately analyze and interpret complex business situations.
- Must have good organizational, and project management skills to be able to prioritize & delegate tasks effectively and be able to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated and the ability to influence, motivate and mentor others.
- Strong in attention to detail, time management, versatility and hold accountability.
- Can resolve complex supply chain issues with strong decision-making skills.
- Working knowledge of systems including SAP, Spend Analyzer, Agile, manufacturing processes and understanding of design and quality requirements as they relate to components and assemblies.
- Must possess the ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Experience and proven experience and effectiveness in leading cross-functional teams.
- Must have experience in a highly technical & regulated industry.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of supply chain management, strategic sourcing, inventory management, and contract management.
- Must possess strong negotiation skills, and good teamwork/facilitations skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time.
This role is based out of Grand Rapids, MI.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Director, Strategic Sourcing